Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Blog #5: Polishing the Profile

Just a reminder, your personality profile is due Feb. 9 @ 5 p.m.

Take a moment to read the Billy Mills profile. Think about how it might inspire you or how you might use something you learning from the writing style to help you with your own article.

For today's blog you have a couple of options: 1) you can submit an early draft of your article for me to look over and provide some feedback, or 2) you can give an update on how things are progressing, focusing on any area where you could use my help. Tell me about any problems you are having. Tell me about things that are going well.

Please use me as much as possible to help you with this assignment.

This blog is due Feb. 1 at 5 p.m.

2 comments:

  1. I haven't started actually writing my profile yet, but I've met with my subject and taken a lot of notes and recordings. I'm mainly in the preparation mode, where I'm pondering over the things I've learned and trying to envision my story. I'm in the process of mapping out the profile's organization, the narratives and descriptions. My profile subject, Melissa Leilani Larson, is a really busy, interesting and diverse person. I still have more questions I want to ask her to really discover who she is and what is most important, or definitive, about her. But I have a lot to go on that I can work with and still do her justice with. I liked reading the Billy Mills profile because it, like the other profiles we've read, helped me get an idea of how I can tell the story of Melissa's life and career without it seeming chronological or dull. I want to be better at switching scenes, tying lessons and themes together with the scenes to all point back to what makes my profile subject tick. Once I start writing and organizing, I think it will be a fun and interesting process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blog #5

    Update on Profile Story: Things are going well with my profile story thus far. I’ve had my first interview with Torsten—he was really open, which made things a lot easier. Yesterday’s class answered a lot of questions I had as far as determining a focus, gathering information, and then organizing the story (“pile 1….”).

    Something that I could use help with is organizing content in my story. I usually end up telling stories in a timeline format from beginning to end. Is there a more creative/interesting way to go about writing profile stories? This is something that I would definitely like to improve on.

    Also, how many sources would you like us to use for this story?

    Thanks!
    Kenzie

    ReplyDelete